Friday, April 9, 2010

I hit it with my axe!

Played D&D for the first time in a long time (might as well have been first time as I'm having to re-learn 4th Ed.) last Saturday, and again last night. Seeing as how 'Kilt Fetish' is essentially just my soapbox (even if it is within a sea of soapboxes) I would not be surprised if there will likely be many many more posts on this topic (as it inevitably takes up tremendous segments of my time).

Suffice to say, I love my group. Four players of various levels of experience and acting talent, but everyone brings something different to the table.

At first my cousin Willhelm (sic) was taking point of our group, a straight-laced paladin of Bahamut. However, Will abandoned us to pursue employment in the more tangible realm of I'll-be-out-of-state-working, so his one session is quietly shuffled under the table and his high and mighty paladin has no doubt found 'greener pastures' (or an ignoble death underwater, bereaved by pseudo-fish monsters. Who can say?)

Roderick (not his real name) and his longtime D&D experience is always a pleasure to have along, even if he does argue the rules with me from time to time (I'd be more down on that if he wasn't right so often). His dwarven cleric Sorden "Hagmaier" Barrend is becoming increasingly characterized as R. gets back into the swing of things, and is swiftly emerging as the group's impromptu combat leader.

Olivine (an assumed Alias) has been with me on this one from the get-go and is perhaps the most enthusiastic player I have at present. The quintessential rookie with her Half-Elf ranger Amen Ussia, Olivine nevertheless brings a willing role play and careful mind to the proceedings. She also helps us stay on track (we are a rather easily distracted group).... at least, when she herself is not distracted.

Mikael (also known as Blondie) is a rookie as well, but is in the process of gaining a solid grasp on the game, (so long as I can keep him hooked, that is. Otherwise his mind wanders). His enthusiasm for awesome moments make me want to constantly step up my game to deliver them, but I do have to remember to pace myself. His Elven rouge Leahcim (we end up pronouncing it Leh-kah-him, think Yiddish) is more of a ranger wannabe, but who am I to judge? Also thoroughly narcissistic, Leahcim's current "tally" is at two, soon to grow by several more no doubt due to his recent exploits on the field of battle. What Mike really brings to the game though is his excellent improv skills, which makes Leahcim an honest pleasure to interact with.

Finally, we have Deige (who's real name cannot be released for legal reasons), our newest recruit, who was thoroughly press-ganged into service, but agreed to go along with our mad schemes almost entirely out of a happy-go-lucky disposition. She hasn't immersed herself in role play too much yet, (though her barbarian shifter, Fumeyelle, is nothing if not laded with potential) but she has has endeared herself admirably to the group by just being Deige - her artistic skills in particular made for a wonderful evening, and suffice to say i will never, ever look at platypuss' (platipusses? platipusi?) the same way ever again. She joined us for our second session, and I feel she is sufficiently hooked to stay on for at least a couple more. She also provided me, unwittingly, with the title of this post, as it was her first action in combat- "Deige, i mean, Fu, the enemy is charging you, its hideous war cry gurgling in its tepid thrat, its spear poised! What do you do?" "I'll hit it with my axe!"


The session itself was fun, but combat dragged heavily at times. That may have been because of the sheer number of enemies I threw at them, but I also feel that I need a second player's handbook so that we can, you know, CHECK OUR FLIPPING POWERS BEFORE OUR TURN, HMMM?

Not that I'm critical, we're all still learning.

Next week we'll finally get the party to the island and ruins of Caer Ulric, give our newbies their deflowering first experience in a dungeon environment, and (hopefully) put an end to the mudspawn threat once and for all.

Till then I will continue updating bi-weekly (or more, should I feel anything noteworthy enough to blast across the Internet perchance occur) for your reading pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment